Amid widespread outrage over the alleged gang rape of a 19-year-old woman from Hathras district in Uttar Pradesh, who died in Delhi on Tuesday, BJP MLA Surendra Singh from UP’s Ballia said: “It’s the duty of all mothers and fathers to imbibe good values in their daughters and bring them up in cultured environments.”
“I am a teacher along with being an MLA. Such incidents (like rape) can be stopped only with sanskar (culture), not with shashan (good governance) or talwar (referring to sword or might),” Singh said on Saturday.
“It’s my dharma, government’s dhrama but family’s dharma too… While government is committed to protect, the family should be committed too to imbibe good values in their children. Sanskar and sarkaar can make India beautiful, there is no other alternative,” he is heard replying to a question by a reporter: “Why do you think rape cases are continue even as is people say this is Ram Rajya?”
The BJP MLA has been known for making controversial comments in the past. Last year, he had said that Nathuram Godse, who killed Mahatama Gandhi “was not a terrorist” and he “committed a mistake”. Earlier this year, he commented on West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, saying she is a “cruel-hearted woman”
His comments come as the opposition leaders continue to attack the Yogi Adityanath government over the handling of the case.
- Fabindia’s ‘Jashn-e-Riwaaz’ sparks controversy, Netizens allege ‘Abrahamisation’ of Diwali
- Manipur: Police seize arms, ammunition & drugs worth Rs 40 lakh
- Mary Kom to skip National Women’s Boxing Championships
- NESFB Guwahati has 133 vacancies. Details here
- Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim sentenced to life
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for October 18