30 Congress MLAs enroute to Hathras amid high security in Delhi-UP border
In a recent development, a delegation of over 30 Congress MPs is on their way to Hathras in Uttar Pradesh led by Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra. This is their second attempt to meet the family of the 19-year-old victim who died in Delhi on Tuesday after the alleged gang rape.
The state administration, on the other hand, had earlier stated that the delegation will not be allowed to enter the village. Additionally, no vehicles from Delhi are allowed into UP via the DND flyover as it joins Noida in UP with the capital.
The Congress delegation was halted earlier at the DND Flyway as the border was sealed by heavy security. Both Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi were, however, allowed to enter UP via Noida on Saturday. On the previous attempt to meet the victim’s family on October 1, the UP police detained them near the Yamuna Expressway.
Additionally, an FIR has been lodged against 200 party workers including the two Gandhi’s under sections of the IPC and the Epidemic Disease Act during their first visit. Today, while Priyanka was boarding her car she even told the media that they will try again if they remain unsuccessful this time.
Earlier, Ranvijay Singh, the ADCP of Noida told media that to control illegal gathering, security measures have been raked up at the Delhi-UP border. He added that Section 144 is being violated and hence he appeals that the Congress workers should return.
Even Union Minister Smriti Irani, had earlier attacked the Congress saying that the celebration was an attempt to politicise the difficulty.
Rahul taking to Twitter had earlier said that “no power in this world can stop me from meeting the family of the victim and share their grief.”
Prem Prakash, Sadar SDM also said that restrictions have been lifted after Special Investigation Team had completed their probe in the village. He added that now media persons can interact with the victim’s family members.
He, however, added that the restrictions were down for media persons and no orders are yet given which allows delegations to visit. He also quashed the allegations about phones of the family members being taken away or confining the family to their home and called it "absolutely baseless."