US is ‘certainly looking at’ banning China-based social media apps, which also includes TikTok, says Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State
New Delhi: With increased concerns of national security over TikTok’s handling of users’ data, Mike Pompeo, US Secretary of State, on Monday said that the United States is “certainly looking at” banning China-based social media apps, which also includes TikTok.
Pompeo while in an interview with an international leading daily said that he does not want to get this out in front of President Donald Trump but is something that the state is looking at. Lawmakers from the US have raised concerns stating that they are worried over Chinese laws that require domestic companies, “to support and cooperate with intelligence work controlled by the Chinese Communist Party.” To distance itself from Chinese roots, the app TikTok is also not available in China to appeal to a global audience.
This statement by Pompeo comes at a time when there has been an increase in tensions between the US and China with regards to the handling of the novel coronavirus outbreak, the actions of China in Hong Kong, and an around two-year trade war.
Just last week, India banned 59 China-based-apps including TikTok, UC Browser, WeChat, etc. in a strong move to target China in the online space since the Galwan border crisis in June. Last week, even Pompeo welcomed the ban stating that they welcome the Indian app ban on Chinese apps as they can serve as appendages of the CCP’s surveillance state. He added that this approach by India will boost its sovereignty, integrity, and national security.