Guwahati: Cyclone Amphan is currently passing over West Bengal coast near the Sundarbans and is en route to Kolkata by evening. Strong winds of 160 kmph intensity have commenced in the coastal districts. The eye of the storm as of now is over Gangasagar with a wind intensity of 165 kmph, as per reports.
Up to 1,58,640 people have been evacuated in Odisha due to Amphan and more than 5 lakh in West Bengal. The landfall has triggered gusty winds and copious rains in many districts of West Bengal. As the coastal regions of Digha are pounded by waves, the city of Kolkata has been battered by the muddy Hooghly river and heavy rainfall, said reports.
Netizens in Kolkata and various organisations have been sharing visuals of nature’s fury on Twitter ever since. Here are a few of them:
- What do people think about when they go to sleep?
- Mizoram: 3 arrested in Champhai for posing as intelligence officials
- Arunachal: Active NSCN-K cadre surrenders in Changlang
- Tripura CM urges students to be watchful allies of the police
- Brutal assault on Naga woman in Ahmedabad spa sparks outrage
- Bloom Bazaar: Nagaland’s fresh initiative to boost floriculture