At least 7 people, including a child, have died from a major gas leak at LG Polymers plant at Vizag in Andhra Pradesh; over 500 people admitted to hospitals
New Delhi: Nearly 1,000 people have fallen severely ill and hundreds left unconscious after a gas leak at a chemical plant in Andhra Pradesh’s Vishakhapatnam on Wednesday midnight. The leak which occurred at LG Polymers chemical plant around 2 am spread to an area of around 4 km, as per police.
While speaking to media, Gopalapatnam sub-inspector Venkat Rao said that three people, including a child have died from the gas leak so far and at least 500 people have been admitted to hospitals along with evacuation of three villages. However, some reports are now saying at least seven people have lost their lives in the incident.
As per ground reports, people exposed to the gas leak are suffering from burning sensation in their eyes and many have fallen unconscious after inhaling the gas. Many of the police personnel on the ground are also feeling nauseous.
The DGP of Andhra Pradesh, Gautam Sawang, said that the gas itself isn’t poisonous and the people who have been admitted to hospitals will be treated free of charge and discharged.
A former employee of the LG Polymer chemical plant while speaking to a local satellite channel told that the incident might have occurred when the unit was restarted after lockdown without adequate maintenance work first.
Police, fire engines, ambulances and NDRF have rushed to the spot and are evacuating all the affected people from nearby areas.