Jalpaiguri: Two persons were arrested and teak worth Rs 1 crore was seized from their possession in West Bengal‘s Jalpaiguri district, a forest official said on Saturday.
Acting on a tip-off, Baikunthapur Forest Division personnel intercepted a container and a trailer in Panikouri area late on Friday and found the vehicles to be loaded with Burma teak, he said.
Help sustain honest journalism.
The teak, worth Rs 1 crore, was being smuggled to Kolkata from Guwahati, the official said, adding the arrested persons are residents of Kerala and Andhra Pradesh.
Also read | Kid’s ‘rushed’ immune response behind Covid reinfection: Study
- Northeast needs a lot of things: Hindi is not one of them
- Rahul disqualification an ‘own goal’ by BJP, says Shashi Tharoor
- Rahul Gandhi should accept court verdict: Meghalaya CM
- Centre withdraws AFSPA from 4 more police stations in Manipur
- Climate change threatening tea sector globally: ITA
- Sikkim: Army, BRO launch snow-clearing ops; rescue 1,400 tourists