Kalimpong: Four people were killed and several others injured on Saturday after a speeding car with a marriage party on board fell from a bridge in West Bengal’s Kalimpong district, police said.
The accident took place around 1 am on National Highway 31 when the vehicle with nine people on board dashed against the guard wall of the bridge and rolled down on the bank of the Rung Dung river, a senior officer said.
Two persons died on the spot, while seven others were injured and taken to a health centre in the Oodlabari area and later referred to a Siliguri hospital, he said.
“Two more succumbed to their injuries later,” the officer said, adding that the identification of the deceased is underway.
Help sustain honest journalism.
The marriage party was coming from the Banarhat area in the neighbouring Jalpaiguri district when the accident occurred.
“Apparently, the driver lost control over the vehicle and fell from the bridge on the river bank,” the officer added.
Also read | Indian economy yet to revive from effects of pandemic: CPIM
- Govt taking effort to lower volume limit for vehicle horns: Meghalaya Dy CM
- Manipur: Fake liquor manufacturing unit busted in Thoubal
- Nagaland to allow sale of liquor to foreign delegates during G20 meet
- US-born Mongolian boy named 3rd highest Buddhist leader by Dalai Lama
- Galactic parade: 5 planets to line up on March 28, India to get stunning view
- No new industrial policy for Northeast yet