Kolkata: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested the stepbrother of slain Trinamool Congress leader Bhadu Sheikh in connection with the massacre at Bogtui village in West Bengal’s Birbhum district, an officer said on Wednesday.
Altogether 10 people died of burn injuries after their houses in Bogtui were firebombed by assailants after the murder of Sheikh on the night of March 21 this year.
Sheikh’s stepbrother, who was absconding since the massacre, was arrested by CBI sleuths from his hideout near the West Bengal-Jharkhand border on Tuesday evening.
“We were looking for this person for a long time. We are interrogating him. We have evidence of his involvement in the killings,” the officer told PTI.
Help sustain honest journalism.
A total of 14 people have so been arrested by the CBI for their alleged involvement in the massacre.
The central probe agency is investigating the case on an order of the Calcutta High Court.
Also Read | Active Covid cases in country dip to 4,255
- Frontier Nagaland ‘deal’ leaves some eastern Nagas confused, others elated
- BJP scared of electoral understanding of Left, Cong in Tripura: Ex-CM Manik Sarkar
- 101 NDRF personnel leave for quake-hit Turkey
- Mizoram: Heroin worth Rs 10 lakh seized in Aizawl, 4 arrested
- Over 2,000 people dead: Explaining the Turkey-Syria earthquakes
- India dispatches first consignment of earthquake relief material to Turkey