Kolkata: BJP’s West Bengal unit president Sukanta Majumdar was arrested on Saturday afternoon when he tried to visit violence-hit Howrah district, police said.
Majumdar, the MP of Balurghat in Uttar Dinajpur, was arrested near the toll plaza on Vidyasagar Setu, they said.
“Mr Majumdar was trying to travel to Howrah where prohibitory orders under CrPC 144 have been clamped. His visit could have created a law and order situation. This is a preventive arrest,” a senior police officer told PTI.
Violence rocked parts of Howrah on Friday following the inflammatory remarks of now-suspended BJP spokesperson Nupur Sharma on Prophet Mohammed.
- Petitioner be given teacher job in place of minister’s daughter, rules Cal HC
- No material to support 2002 Godhra riots were pre-planned: SC
- SC awards death to man for rape and murder of disabled minor
- Guj: Over 500 children rescued after blaze erupts at Vadodara school
- 2 Kerala youths, interns with Impulse NGO, attacked by 30 bikers in Shillong
- Meghalaya toll gates: KHADC staring at loss of lakhs in revenue generation