Kolkata: Photographs of a TMC MLA sitting on the chair of a college principal in West Bengal’s Nadia district triggered controversy on Thursday, with opposition BJP accusing the ruling party of destroying the autonomy of state-aided educational institutions.
Braja Kishore Goswami, the Trinamool Congress legislator from Santipur assembly seat, told reporters that he was “requested” by the principal to take her seat during a recent visit to Santipur College.
Principal Dr Chandrima Bhattacharya was seen sitting on a sofa beside the MLA.
Goswami claimed that someone clicked the pictures and spread those on social media to malign him.
Reacting to the development, BJP state president Sukanta Majumdar said: “This is the true scenario of the education sector in West Bengal under the TMC rule. Even a college principal has to bow before a ruling party MLA .
The saffron party also criticised the TMC on its Facebook page, stating that this is the new education model courtesy Trinamool”.
Bhattacharya could not be contacted for comments.
- Meghalaya: World Disabled Day observed in South Garo Hills
- Leftist agenda on JNU campus won’t succeed anymore: VHP
- BJP-IPFT has given corruption free governance in Tripura: Manik Saha
- Special help desk for persons with disabilities at Guwahati airport
- With Meghalaya speaker joining NPP, will TMC take Phulbari’s sitting MLA?
- Mizoram: Weapons recovered in Tuipang, 4 Myanmar nationals held