Kolkata: With an eye on assembly polls in Meghalaya slated for next year, Trinamool Congress national general secretary Abhishek Banerjee will be visiting the north-eastern state in May.
TMC spokesperson Kunal Ghosh said Banerjee would be visiting Meghalaya on May 3 and hold organisational meetings with party leaders of the state.
The TMC became the main opposition party in the Meghalaya Assembly in November last year after 12 of the 17 Congress MLAs, including former chief minister Mukul Sangma, switched over to the Trinamool Congress.
After the TMC’s landslide victory in the 2021 assembly polls in West Bengal, Chief Minister and party supremo Mamata Banerjee’s call for opposition unity to remove the BJP from power at the Centre has led her party to expand its organisation in Goa, Haryana, Tripura, and Meghalaya.
The TMC had contested assembly polls in Goa and civic elections in Tripura.
- Karnataka’s Sini Shetty crowned Femina Miss India World 2022
- Tripura: Double murder sparks tension in Agartala
- Mizoram environment bears brunt of NHIDCL’s poor work on highways
- Manipur landslide: CM hands over Rs 50k each to jawans injured at Noney
- Mizoram: Assam Rifles recovers arms, ammunition, 2 held
- Climate change, poor planning: Decoding Assam’s mounting flood ferocity