Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition on the by-election to the Bhabanipur assembly seat, ordering that polls will be held as scheduled on September 30.
A division bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Rajesh Bindal and Justice R Bharadwaj said it was inappropriate on the part of the West Bengal Chief Secretary to have written such a letter in which he had appealed to the election commission for holding the by-election at Bhabanipur immediately.
The court dismissed the PIL in which the language used to seek the by-poll was challenged.
The chief secretary had in the letter said that a “constitutional crisis” would occur if the by-election to Bhabanipur was not held immediately.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is contesting from the Bhabanipur seat.
Also read: Assam reports eight COVID-19 deaths, 412 new cases
- Artificial intelligence threatens extinction, experts say in new warning
- Tiger protection in India also saved carbon emissions: Study
- Number of frauds rose in FY23, amount involved halved: RBI data
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh interacts with Indian diaspora in Nigeria
- Meghalaya: Month-long campaign held to observe ‘World No Tobacco Day’
- Mamata seeks Central permission to visit Manipur