Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition on the by-election to the Bhabanipur assembly seat, ordering that polls will be held as scheduled on September 30.
A division bench comprising Acting Chief Justice Rajesh Bindal and Justice R Bharadwaj said it was inappropriate on the part of the West Bengal Chief Secretary to have written such a letter in which he had appealed to the election commission for holding the by-election at Bhabanipur immediately.
The court dismissed the PIL in which the language used to seek the by-poll was challenged.
The chief secretary had in the letter said that a “constitutional crisis” would occur if the by-election to Bhabanipur was not held immediately.
Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee is contesting from the Bhabanipur seat.
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle
- Mizoram: 808 grams of Heroin seized, one arrested
- China always provoking its neighbours, doesn’t trust anyone: Exiled Tibetan leader
- Continuous clashes in Myanmar pushing more refugees into Mizoram
- Five Myanmar nationals detained in Cachar for illegally entering Assam
- Second key suspect behind violence against Hindus arrested by Bangladesh police