Kolkata : A person was arrested from West Bengal’s Birbhum district for allegedly spreading communally sensitive messages and obscene materials through WhatsApp groups ahead of the Bhabanipur bypoll, police said on Thursday.
The arrest was made by the Kolkata Police’s Cyber Crime Cell on a complaint lodged by a resident of Kalighat, the area where Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee lives, they said.
“In the wake of the Bhabanipur bypoll, a number of WhatsApp groups was created. The admin of the groups, who was arrested, along with others used them to post communal messages. They also posted some obscene materials containing sexually explicit acts,” a police officer said.
The accused is a resident of Charkal village in Nanoor and he was arrested on Wednesday night, police said.
A case was registered against him, they said.
Also read: NE has been converted into heartland from hinterland: Union minister
- Artificial intelligence threatens extinction, experts say in new warning
- Tiger protection in India also saved carbon emissions: Study
- Number of frauds rose in FY23, amount involved halved: RBI data
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh interacts with Indian diaspora in Nigeria
- Meghalaya: Month-long campaign held to observe ‘World No Tobacco Day’
- Mamata seeks Central permission to visit Manipur