Kolkata : A person was arrested from West Bengal’s Birbhum district for allegedly spreading communally sensitive messages and obscene materials through WhatsApp groups ahead of the Bhabanipur bypoll, police said on Thursday.
The arrest was made by the Kolkata Police’s Cyber Crime Cell on a complaint lodged by a resident of Kalighat, the area where Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee lives, they said.
“In the wake of the Bhabanipur bypoll, a number of WhatsApp groups was created. The admin of the groups, who was arrested, along with others used them to post communal messages. They also posted some obscene materials containing sexually explicit acts,” a police officer said.
The accused is a resident of Charkal village in Nanoor and he was arrested on Wednesday night, police said.
A case was registered against him, they said.
- Prince Charles warns of narrow window to face climate change
- PM Modi meets Indian COVID vaccine manufacturers; CEOs say his leadership key force in vaccination drive
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray, mother test positive for COVID-19
- China attempting to reduce India’s influence in Mynmar, SEA: CDS General Rawat
- Arunachal searching for unsung heroes of India’s freedom struggle
- Mizoram: 808 grams of Heroin seized, one arrested