Jalpaiguri (WB): At least 130 children were admitted to Jalpaiguri Sadar Hospital with high fever and dysentery, a health department official said on Monday.
Two of them were later shifted to North Bengal Medical College as their condition worsened, he said.
The development comes amid warning by experts that the third wave of the COVID-19 pandemic might pose a greater risk to children.
“We are keeping a tab on the situation and trying to develop the hospital’s infrastructure so that no one is denied admission. The situation is quite worrisome,” the official told PTI.
If necessary, the children will be subjected to COVID-19 tests, he stated.
District Magistrate Moumita Godara Basu, who visited the hospital during the day, held back-to-back meetings with authorities to assess the situation and find a way ahead, the official added.
- Why Bollywood is lining up to shoot its films in the Northeast
- How Tripura’s toxic sewage is raising a stench in Bangladesh
- India will resume work in at least 20 stalled projects in Afghanistan: Taliban
- President Murmu extends best wishes to team India for successful G20 presidency
- Manipur: UFC Gym India opens newest club in Imphal
- Active Covid cases in country decline to 4,767