The West Bengal Police Special Task Force has arrested 3 people in Kolkata, including 1 Bangladeshi national, for allegedly being involved in an illegal SIM box racket. The Bangladeshi national is being called the mastermind behind the illegal racket.
As part of a major operation conducted between Wednesday and Thursday, the cops busted an illegal SIM box communication racket. More raids were conducted in the Airport Police Station area of Bidhannagar Commissionerate, Kolkata Police area, Siliguri and Jalpaiguri districts.
Acting on a tip-off, sleuths of the West Bengal Special Task Force (STF) nabbed the trio and seized at least 23 SIM boxes, with a capacity to store 256 SIM slots from different locations, he said.
Around 400 preactivated SIM cards, WiFi modems of different service providers, laptops and other communication equipment were also seized from their possession. An FIR has been lodged with the Airport Police Station in this connection.
“Apart from the Bangladeshi national, the other two are from Siliguri and Jalpaiguri districts. Further investigation is underway, a senior police officer told the media.
A SIM box, synonymous with SIM bank is a device used as part of a VoIP gateway installation. It contains a number of SIM cards, which are linked to the gateway but housed and stored separately from it.
A SIM box can have SIM cards of different mobile operators installed, permitting it to operate with several GSM gateways located in different places.
– With inputs from PTI
- Vice President Dhankhar to visit Tripura, Kolkata on Tuesday
- SC seeks replies of Centre, states on PIL for free sanitary pads for girls in govt schools
- Forest management tool could help rein in rampant wildlife trade in Bangladesh
- Why certain types of music make our brains sing, and others don’t
- In Nepal, officials defend detusking to reduce human-elephant conflict
- Over 75 pc Indians with hypertension have uncontrolled BP: Lancet study