Siliguri (WB): A major landslide washed away a portion of National Highway 55 in West Bengal‘s Darjeeling district on Friday, an official said.
No casualties, however, have been reported so far, he said.
Almost 40 metres of the national highway has been completely washed away in Gairigaon area near Tindharia early in the morning, the official said.
Traffic movement has been blocked on the vital road connecting Siliguri and Darjeeling, he said.
It will take time to restore connectivity through the road, he said.
However, vehicles are now being diverted through the longer route via Rohini, the official added.
- Shah, Mamata to arrive in poll-bound Tripura on Monday
- ISRO-NASA built satellite ready to be shipped to India for launch
- The consequences of childhood trauma on children’s mental health
- Buzzing discovery in Arunachal: New bee species named after Tawang
- Sports finally being viewed from athletes’ perspective in country: PM Modi
- Study of half a million soccer fans shows how group identity shapes behaviour