Chandigarh: Famous Punjabi singer Sidhu Moosewala has been shot dead by unidentified persons who opened fire at him in Punjab’s Mansa district on Sunday, a day after the state government withdrew his security cover.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (Mansa) Gobinder Singh told PTI that several bullets hit Moosewala, 28, who was in his jeep at village Jawahar Ke when he was attacked.
He had fought on a Congress ticket from Mansa assembly seat in the recent assembly election and was defeated by AAP’s Dr Vijay Singla.
Expressing anger and shock over the attack, several Congress leaders indicated that Moosewala had succumbed to his injuries but there was no official word on his condition.
Congress tweeted, “The murder of Shri Sidhu Moose Wala, Congress candidate from Punjab & a talented musician, has come as a terrible shock to the Congress party & the entire nation. Our deepest condolences to his family, fans & friends.”
“Shocking to hear about death of #sidhumoosewala in a shootout-not sharing the videos received via WhatsApp due to sensitivity but shot at many times,” Congress national spokesperson Jaiveer Shergill tweeted.
Shubhdeep Singh Sidhu, popularly known as Sidhu Moosewala, was among 424 people whose security was withdrawn by the Punjab Police on Saturday.
The others included former MLAs, two Jathedars of Takht Damdama Sahib and Takht Kesgarh Sahib, heads of Deras and serving and retired policemen.
Moosewala had joined the Congress last year ahead of the Punjab assembly elections.
- NFR revises stoppage time of trains to help farmers transport products
- Turning data into sound to listen to whispers of the universe (and more)
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for August 19
- Tripura: IPFT’s silence destroyed its political prospects, says TIPRA chief
- Meghalaya: One dead, another critically injured in coal-mining incident
- West Bengal reports 436 new COVID-19 cases, 3 deaths