New Delhi: Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu on Tuesday administered oath to newly elected members S Selvaganabathy and Sushmita Dev in his chamber here.
The two were elected to the upper house from the Union Territory of Puducherry and from West Bengal respectively.
While Selvaganabathy took oath in Tamil, Dev did so in Bengali.
Referring to newly elected members consistently taking oath in respective Indian languages and their increased use in the proceedings of the House, Chairman Naidu said, “It is in line with the spirit of Rajya Sabha, the Council of States.”
He urged members to use respective languages taking advantage of simultaneous interpretation service provided for all 22 scheduled languages.
Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, Coal and Mines Pralhad Joshi, Minister of Minority Affairs Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Rajya Sabha secretary general P P K Ramacharyulu and other senior officers of the Rajya Sabha Secretariat were also present.
- Experts say new Covid variant stokes concern but vaccines still important
- More omicron cases pop up as world rushes to learn more
- New tourism policy to cater to post-COVID visitors: Ministry
- Can AI help in stopping the spread of fake news? May be not
- WHO eyes pandemic preparation as new variant emerges
- ‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ gets India release date ahead of US