Ballia (UP): A 16-year-old girl was allegedly raped on the pretext of marriage by a man whom she befriended on Facebook, police said on Thursday.
The girl, a resident of Dokati Police Station area here, became friends with the 31-year-old accused belonging to Hardoi district on Facebook.
On August 25, she went to Hardoi to meet the man who allegedly raped her, according to police.
Dokati Police Station in-charge Manoj Singh said, on the complaint of the girl’s mother, a case was registered after her daughter went missing.
On Thursday, police detained the girl along with the accused from Bairia bus stand here, he said.
Based on the statement of the teenager, the charge of rape and relevant section of the POCSO Act were added in the case, he added.
Also read: Active COVID-19 cases in India lowest in 215 days
- Amid heat, transformer catches fire in Guwahati; locals rue APDCL laxity
- Manipur: Army organises health camps in villages, relief camps
- Sikkim CM urges people to plant trees, not leave any land barren
- Nagaland: Angami bodies, students clean iconic Kisama heritage village
- Tripura State Rifles’ soldier kills self
- Manipur: Kuki students slam tribal body’s call to lift NH-2 blockade