Chandigarh: Newly sworn-in Punjab Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi Monday urged the Centre to repeal agri laws, and said his party stands firmly behind farmers agitating against the “black” farm laws.
Thanking the party leadership, Channi told reporters here that the party has given a common person a great honour. He also described Rahul Gandhi as a “revolutionary leader”.
Channi, the first Dalit chief minister of the state, said he will become the voice of the common people of Punjab and will always remain accessible to them.
Together, we have to make Punjab prosperous. Punjab is primarily an agrarian state. This government is a pro-farmer government, this is Congress government, he said.
Farmers in Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana have been protesting against three contentious farm laws. Several rounds of meetings between the Centre and farmer leaders have ended in a deadlock.
This government is of the people of Punjab, he further said, adding that the Congress’ ideology is to take everyone along. On his predecessor, Amarinder Singh, Channi said he did good work as CM.
“He is also known as protector of water rights. He is our party leader,” Channi said.
The party high command has given an 18-point programme and we are committed to it, said Channi, adding promises made will be fulfilled.
We will ensure a transparent government, he said.
Also read: All men’ relay marathon covers Kolkata to Gangtok in 58 hours
- Arunachal’s Lipi Gamlin participates in ISRO Yuvika prog
- Meghalaya: ‘Cheap stunt’ or is the GNLA really regrouping?
- Active Covid cases in country dip to 4,972
- For Manipur’s fencing hero Jetlee, Olympics is a destination, not a dream
- Nagaland: NSF issues ultimatum to nab culprits involved in Naga club vandalisation
- Mizoram: ZORO holds rally to express solidarity with Manipur tribals hit by violence