Chandigarh, Sep 19: The Congress announced on Sunday that Charanjit Singh Channi has been elected as the leader of the Punjab Congress Legislative Party (CLP), paving the way for his appointment as the chief minister.
The development comes a day after Congress veteran Amarinder Singh resigned as chief minister amid a bitter power tussle with state Congress chief Navjot Singh Sidhu with less than five months to go for the Assembly polls.
“It gives me immense pleasure to announce that Sh. Charanjit Singh Channi has been unanimously elected as the Leader of the Congress Legislature Party of Punjab, AICC general secretary,” Harish Rawat said in a tweet.
- Nearly 9,000 mobile phones worth Rs 7 crore looted from truck; case registered in UP
- 7 Manipur footballers make it to national team for Asian Cup 2022
- 31 candidates in fray for by-poll to 5 Assembly seats in Assam
- Meghalaya organisation writes to CM, urges action on fuel prices
- Russia’s daily Covid-19 death toll passes 1,000
- Man arrested for selling church property worth more than Rs 50 crore