Bhawanipatna (Odisha): Overpowered by emotions, an elderly man jumped into the burning pyre of his wife and was instantly charred to death in Odisha’s Kalahandi district, police said on Wednesday.
The incident took place on Tuesday at Sialjodi village in Golamunda block of the district.
Nilamani Sabar (65) suddenly jumped into the funeral pyre of his wife Raibari (60), after his four sons and relatives had gone to take a bath in a nearby waterbody as per tradition, a police officer said.
Sabar, who was a former Samiti member of his gram panchayat, died on the spot, he said.
The Inspector-in-Charge of Kegaon Police Station Damu Paraja, however, said the family members were yet to inform the police about the incident.
I have come to know from other sources. I am on my way, he added.
Also read: 2 more injured in police encounters in Assam
- Arunachal Pradesh’s COVID-19 positivity rate dips below 1%
- ST status demand: Assam CM meets Tai-Ahom, Matak community leaders
- Assam logs 196 new COVID-19 cases, 5 fresh fatalities
- India records 26,041 new COVID-19 cases
- Bharat Bandh: Rahul Gandhi voices support for farmers
- Arunachal Guv asks village headmen to encourage people for vaccination