Bhawanipatna (Odisha): Overpowered by emotions, an elderly man jumped into the burning pyre of his wife and was instantly charred to death in Odisha’s Kalahandi district, police said on Wednesday.
The incident took place on Tuesday at Sialjodi village in Golamunda block of the district.
Nilamani Sabar (65) suddenly jumped into the funeral pyre of his wife Raibari (60), after his four sons and relatives had gone to take a bath in a nearby waterbody as per tradition, a police officer said.
Sabar, who was a former Samiti member of his gram panchayat, died on the spot, he said.
The Inspector-in-Charge of Kegaon Police Station Damu Paraja, however, said the family members were yet to inform the police about the incident.
I have come to know from other sources. I am on my way, he added.
Also read: 2 more injured in police encounters in Assam
- India, US ready to break down limits in defence cooperation: Experts
- Budget 2023: MGNREGS, Rural Ministry witness cut in allocations
- Two years after the military coup, Myanmar mired in bloody civil war
- SC asks WhatsApp to publicise undertaking given to Centre in 2021
- Budget ‘anti-people’, ‘opportunistic’: Mamata
- Budget 2023 misses the mark for Northeast India’s industrial sector