The death of Jesuit Father Stan Swamy shocked many across India and abroad, with many taking to Twitter to express their condolence and calling out the unfair treatment he received at the hands of the Indian government.
Here are some Twitter reactions:
“Heartfelt condolences on the passing of Father Stan Swamy. He deserved justice and humaneness,” said former Congress President Rahul Gandhi.
Congress MP Shashi Tharoor expressed deep condolences on his demise saying, “Sad to learn of Fr #Stan Swamy’s passing. A humanitarian & a man of God whom our government could not treat with humanity. Deeply saddened as an Indian.”
Srinivas Bhadravathi Venkata, National President of the Indian Youth Congress, expressed his grief with an interrogative mark in the end saying, “Arnab Goswami got instant hearings in courts while 84yr old Father Stan Swamy was denied bail for over seven months. Now he is no more. Who is responsible?”
Indian historian Ramchandra Guha said in a tweet, “Father Stan Swamy spent a lifetime working for the dispossessed and the disadvantaged. His tragic death is a case of judicial murder, for which the Home Ministry and the Courts are jointly culpable.”
The death of father Swamy also invoked international response.
- Twitter lifted its ban on COVID misinformation – research shows this is a grave risk to public health
- Examine representation on framing of same rules for organ transplant: SC
- Regional arms race vs Kim’s desire for NKorea to be nuclear superpower
- Why Uyghurs, who suffered China’s COVID policies most, won’t protest
- FIFA World Cup 2022: Round of 16 matches on December 6
- Modi stresses on use of latest tech to track economic offenders