Bollywood actor Juhi Chawla has released a video message explaining why she chose to approach the Delhi High Court against the rollout of 5G technology in India. The court, however, dismissed her petition and said that the lawsuit was allegedly “for publicity”, and has also said that the petitioners should pay Rs 20 lakh.
“There has been so much noise in the past few days that I couldn’t even hear myself. I feel like a very important message got lost in the noise. That is, we are not against 5G. In fact, we are welcoming of it. All we’re asking is that the authorities certify it safe. We are just asking them to publish their studies in the public domain so our fears are allayed,” the veteran actor said in the video shared on her Instagram.
Actor Juhi Chawla had filed a case in the Delhi High Court raising concerns about the safety of 5G technology. The suit, filed through advocate Deepak Khosla, sought that the authorities clarify whether the technology poses any threat to living organisms.
The original petition filed by Juhi Chawla, Veeresh Malik, and Teena Vachani claimed that the untested implementation of 5G technology could cause irreversible damage to the environment. They said in their petition that no person, animal, bird, insect and plant on earth will be able to avoid exposure, “24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to radiation 10x to 100x times greater than what exists today.”
The Delhi High Court, on last Friday, also ordered action against people who interrupted a virtual hearing earlier in the week using a link that the actor had shared on social media and sang songs from her films.
- Manipur: Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda marries Lin Laishram in Imphal
- Women’s rights in the balance as India weighs criminalising marital rape
- Nagaland: Water supply halted in Kohima after one found dead in reservoir
- Northeast Petroleum Union calls off strike after govt discussion
- Violence or poverty? The stark choice for many women
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for November 29