Actor Yuvika Choudhary, best known for her role in the movie “Om Shanti Om”, has stirred up controversy after making casteist remarks in one of her Youtube vlogs. Choudhary can be seen in the video saying, “Why I always stand like a bh*ngi when I shoot videos.”
After this video was circulated on the Internet, several Bahujan activists called her out for her irresponsible and insensitive remarks against the Bhangi community, and asked for her to be booked under the SC/ST PoA.
The Bhangi community has time and again been insulted by various celebrities because of stereotypes. In 2019, actor Sonakshi Sinha also had to apologise after making casteist remarks against the community. In 2020, cricketer Yuvraj Singh too made similar comments against the community during a Live conversation with fellow cricketer Yuzvendra Chahal.
A few days ago, another actor, Munmun Datta of Tarak Mehta Ka Ulta chashma fame, made similar remarks. Subsequently, an FIR was lodged against her under the SC/ST Act.
Here are some of the reactions on Choudhary’s casteist comments:
Yuvika Choudhary, the wife of Prince Narula (who can also be seen in the video getting a haircut), are known as Power Couple of the TV industry.
Following the outrage, Choudhary apologised claiming ignorance over the casteist nature of her statement.
- Arunachal: NSCN-KYA cadres arrested in Changlang district
- Assam: 19 kids leave for Ahmedabad for heart surgery
- Hope other artistes get inspired: Padma Shri awardee from Mizoram
- Assam: Kaziranga National Park to reopen for tourists on Feb 4
- The Last of Us: HBO’s version ups video game’s themes of love, family
- Baba Ramdev offers his two cents on Assam CM’s ‘motherhood age’ remark