Ahead of the Assembly polls, cash worth Rs 80 lakh, drugs worth Rs 4 lakh and firearms were seized in two different cases on Monday.
A man was arrested for carrying Rs 80 lakh in cash without proper documents in Siliguri, where the Model Code of Conduct is in force.
Acting on a tip-off, the police arrested the Bihar resident from Jhankar More in the city on Sunday, a police officer said.
The cash amount, in the denomination of Rs 500 and Rs 2,000 notes, were concealed in sweet boxes, he said.
The man has been handed over to the Income Tax Department, the officer added.
Meanwhile, four people were arrested and 260 gm of brown sugar and four firearms seized from their possession in West Bengal’s Malda district, police said.
The arrests were made during naka-checking on NH 34 in Gazole area, a police officer said.
After interrogating the accused, drugs worth Rs 4 lakh were seized from Sultanganj area in the district, he said, adding an investigation is underway.
With inputs from PTI
- Assam Rifles seize 240 bags of areca nuts worth over 46 lakh
- Sipajhar eviction drive: Police arrest photographer in video
- Assam is on state-sponsored fire: Rahul Gandhi on Sipajhar
- Sikkim reports 62 new COVID-19 cases, one more fatality
- Vaccine at home for differently-abled, people with restricted mobility: Govt
- Manipur: Tribal leader shot dead; Naga rights’ body condemns killing