With 20 employees testing positive for COVID-19, Leela Palace Hotel in Chennai has turned into a Corona hotspot, making it the second 5-star hotel after ITC Grand Chola emerged as a COVID-19 cluster.
On Saturday, 85 staff of the ITC hotel, their family members and neighbours were declared COVID-19 positive.
According to a senior health official, 232 staff members were tested at the Leela Palace. About 10 per cent of them tested positive.
A health official said 6,416 people are directly employed at hotels across Chennai. Among them, 4,392 staff members had tested for coronavirus.
All business meetings and events are being closely monitored, the health official added.
Tamil Nadu Health Secretary J Radhakrishnan had said earlier that all the Hotels in Chennai are being periodically screened and sanitised. The Chennai Corporation was asked to conduct a saturation test for all the residents of the hotel.
This has been the third instance of a high-profile COVID-19 cluster outbreak in Chennai in the recent months.
- Dhoni part of 15-member defence ministry panel on NCC
- Mizo RS member K. Vanlalvena tests positive for COVID-19
- Madras High Court stays certain sub-clauses of new IT Rules
- Virat Kohli will step down as T20 Captain after World Cup In Dubai
- US, UK, Australia launch new trilateral Indo-Pacific alliance to counter China
- Farmers suffering, govt is nowhere, say Meghalaya MLAs