Kohima: Hundreds of shops with properties worth crores of rupees have been razed to ashes after a fire broke out in a few commercial buildings at High School junction here in the early hours of Saturday, police said.
The Fire & Emergency Service Department received the information around 2:30 a.m. and the blaze was brought under control by 5 a.m., they said.
Officials of the High School Traders Union said some people suffered minor injuries while trying to protect the properties inside more than 100 shops.
There was no report of any fatality.
The blaze is suspected to have erupted due to a short-circuit in one of the shops, police said.
Further investigation is underway.
- Puuluup: Two men in midlife crisis who decided to start living rock & roll lifestyle
- Assam poll panel releases voters’ list for panchayat elections
- Nagorno-Karabakh: Crisis in the Caucasus could destabilise the whole of Eurasia
- Meghalaya: Why this 53-year-old returned to ‘study’ after 35 years
- NFR cancels, diverts, reschedule trains; Check details here
- Meghalaya: Women’s Reservation Bill a false promise, says AICC spokesperson