Kohima: Amidst demands for justice for the 14 civilians killed by security forces in Mon district on December 4-5 last year, the 73rd Republic Day was celebrated in the district on Wednesday in a low-key manner.
While the Konyak Union (KU), apex tribal body of the Konyak Nagas, had initially directed the Konyak Nagas to completely boycott the Republic day, on the special request of the Nagaland government, it permitted the unfurling of the national flag in the administrative offices.
However, it had directed all Konyak Nagas to completely abstain from participating in the Republic day celebration.
An official from the Konyak Union told EastMojo that as per the direction of the Konyak Union, no one from the public participated in the celebrations.
Mon Deputy Commissioner Thavaseelan K told EastMojo that the Republic day celebration concluded peacefully across the district. During the celebration at Mon headquarter, the DC unfurled the flag, although MLA Thongwang Konyak was assigned to unfurl the flag.
Following the Mon killings, the Konyaks have been demanding that “all rank and file involved in massacring 14 Konyak innocent lives must be booked immediately before applicable civil court and the justice taken report must be brought before the public domain”.
- Assam flood: Five more die, over 18.35 lakh people still affected
- Karnataka’s Sini Shetty crowned Femina Miss India World 2022
- Tripura: Double murder sparks tension in Agartala
- Mizoram environment bears brunt of NHIDCL’s poor work on highways
- Manipur landslide: CM hands over Rs 50k each to jawans injured at Noney
- Mizoram: Assam Rifles recovers arms, ammunition, 2 held