Kohima: Nagaland Chief minister-led Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) candidate S Keoshu Yimchunger was on Wednesday elected uncontested in the by-poll to the 58 Shamator-Chessore Assembly constituency.
Yimchunger is the 60th member of the 13th Nagaland Legislative Assembly, the seat for which fell vacant after the demise of former MLA Toshi Wungtung who passed away on July 1.
“Congratulations to the new unopposed MLA from 58 Shamator-Chessore. Best wishes for a successful tenure. Thanks to the people and the civil societies and all UDA partners for the cooperation. Well done to Shri. @Neiphiu_Rio and @NDPPofficial,” NDPP secretary general Abu Metha tweeted.
A certificate of election issued by returning officer B Henok Buchem said that Yimchunger was duly elected by the constituency in the bye-election.
With the declaration of the by-poll result, the number of seats for the NDPP increased to 21. Naga People’s Front (NPF) continues to remain the single largest party in the state with 25 members. The BJP has 12 elected members and there are 2 independent MLAs.
The Nagaland Government recently formed a mega alliance—United Democratic Alliance (UDA), an opposition-less government on the pretext of the Naga Political issue.
- Mizoram: 40,000 kg Areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore recovered
- BJP workers attacking Raijor Dal workers: Akhil Gogoi
- Vincent Pala’s statement on jhum cultivation not based on facts: NESFAS
- Denmark Open: PV Sindhu loses in quarters
- Bar Himanta from by-poll campaign: Cong leader writes to poll panel
- Vaccination drive a success because of you all: Arunachal CM to healthcare workers