Kohima: Following an emergency meeting of the Naga People’s Front (NPF) working committee on Tuesday evening at the central office in Kohima, the party has resolved not to field in any candidate for the upcoming by-election to the 58 Shamator-Chessore Assembly Constituency.
NPF Secretary General Achumbemo Kikon told a section of journalists that in the first week of August, the NPF had formed a search committee which recommended the candidature of its party leader Rukkimong for the ensuing by-election.
However, the decision to not field a candidate was made after a thorough deliberation by the party’s working committee based on the request letter that the Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio-led NDPP party wrote on September 30.
Besides the letter, Kikon said the NDPP had also sought the continued support of the NPF for the upcoming by-poll.
Kikon said the NDPP had made the request based on few reasons. First is that the tenure of the present 13th Nagaland Legislative Assembly is for a little more than a year now. And the other reason is to strengthen the principle of the opposition-less government.
As reported earlier, the BJP had also announced that the seat sharing formula of the pre-poll alliance between the BJP and the NDPP will not be disturbed and that it will not be setting announcing any candidate for the by-polls.
- India successfully test-fires Brahmos missile
- Manipur 2022: TMC MLA, ex-Congress MLA join BJP
- System being created where there is no place for any discrimination: PM Modi
- Khanapara Morning Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara lottery for Jan 20
- Shillong Morning Teer Result today: How to check winners of Shillong lottery for Jan 20
- U19 WC: COVID-hit India stroll into QFs after beating Ireland; Australia win too