Kohima: The Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee (NPCC) on Saturday celebrated party leader Rahul Gandhi’s birthday by distributing ration kits to around 700 needy people in Dimapur and Kohima.
The ration kits containing rice, lentils, potato, mustard oil and salt were distributed to 500 people in Dimapur and to around 200 people in Kohima, GK Zhimomi, general secretary of the party, told EastMojo.
The party through a release also informed that in view of the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic and extraordinary difficulties, Gandhi decided not to celebrate his birthday and requested those planning to celebrate it to avoid ostentatious activities.
According to the party, Gandhi urged the party workers to observe austerity measures and use resources to help those in need and those whose life and livelihood got impaired in the second wave.
It informed that a brief function was held at Dimapur DCC office where the state party president K Therie exhorted a small gathering in accordance with prevailing SOPs. Following this, five teams including DCC Dimapur, NSUI Nagaland and NPC Minority Department reached out to different locations in Dimapur town area to distribute the ration kits to the needy people.
In state capital Kohima, it informed that PCC and DCC office bearers along with the Nagaland Pradesh Youth Congress (NPYC) carried out social work around Congress Bhavan area before distributing ration kits to the needy in Kohima town.
- COVID-19: Manipur registers 418 fresh cases, two deaths
- India logs 2,55,874 fresh COVID-19 cases
- Manipur: United Naga Council calls for shutdown in Naga areas on Jan 26
- From Ratan Tata to ASHA worker, Assam govt bestows its highest civilian awards
- COVID: why some people with symptoms don’t get tested
- Assam: BJP-AGP sweep Thengal Kachari Autonomous Council polls