Kohima: Nagaland government spokesperson for COVID-19, Mmhonlumo Kikon, on Tuesday claimed that the state is ‘fully prepared’ to address any eventuality that may arise in the wake of the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic.
Kikon told reporters that the state has three Bio-Safety Laboratories (BSLs), 32 Truenat machines, 260 beds with oxygen support, and 66 ICU beds as of April 27.
He informed that the state government received an order from the Union ministry to set up three plants for oxygen. The three oxygen plants are likely to be set up in Kohima, Dimapur and Mokokchung.
So far the state’s preparedness is concerned, he said that the state is ‘fully prepared’. Officers, doctors, frontline workers have had a year’s worth of experience, and the infrastructure has also been fully ramped up, he added.
However, he shared concerns over the ‘careless’ nature of the citizens in observing precautionary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. He added that the government cannot work alone and therefore needs the public’s cooperation to battle COVID-19.
He, therefore, appealed to the public to wear masks at all times, wash hands and sanitize regularly, and maintain social distancing norms. Kikon also informed that persons found without wearing masks would be fined Rs 200 by the authorities assigned by the respective District Task Force (DTF).
On Tuesday, the Nagaland government announced that in light of the rising COVID-19 cases, the state will go into a ‘lockdown with consolidated guidelines’ for two weeks starting April 30. The state government clarified that this was not a complete lockdown.