On Christmas, try this Naga baker's pineapple butterscotch cake recipe
Kohima: Christmas without cake is incomplete for the Nagas. During the advent season, Christmas cakes are very popular as gifts for the loved ones. The exchange of cakes is an annual tradition until the Christmas day and goes beyond New Year’s Day.
During this most awaited time of the year, I visited Naga culinarian Nangshirenla Jamir at her home in PR Hill Kohima to get one of her favourite Christmas cake recipe. But before we head-on with the recipe, let’s first get to know more about Nangshirenla Jamir.
The 28-year-old Culinarian from Mangmetong village under Mokokchung district first learnt to bake during her course in Bachelors of catering technology and culinary art (BCT&CA) from Culinary Academy of India in Hyderabad where she completed in the year 2017.
After working in a restaurant in Ladakh for about a year, she returned to the state. She has been baking for friends and family, and whenever she received orders for cakes. They began a home-delivery food service under the label “Biryani everyday” in September this year with her fellow culinarian.
As I entered her kitchen, the smell of pineapples greeted me. I can already tell that she was already working hard to share her recipe. Then, I quickly turned on my camera and put on an imaginary baker’s hat when she began to show me the whole process.
She tells me that she had only learned to bake after she joined the culinary academy. Her favourite part is the icing process. "That is when we get to be creative," she says.
"Baking Christmas cakes for friends and family during this season is so much fun as cakes are trendy during the season. Christmas marks the birth of Jesus and birthdays are not complete without cakes," she adds. Chocolate cakes are her favourite.
Besides baking, she shared about her passion for cooking food. Preparing food for friends and family gives her immense joy as it brings joy to them. Although uncertain of what the future holds, she tells me that she hopes to open a cafe where she can serve food and desserts by next year. She can also reached on Instagram @njr_food
70 gram flour
45 gram Caster sugar
1 table spoon Vanilla essence
2 table spoon Milk
½ (Half) table spoon Baking powder
50 ml Pineapple syrup
Chopped pineapple –as per preference
150 gram Whipped cream
30 gram Caramel sauce (mixed with whipped cream)
5-10 dehydrated pineapple flower (for garnish)
½ (half) quarter cup Oil
Line the mould with butter paper
Measure all the ingredients
Pre heat the oven at 180C
1. Whip the egg white till it’s frothy. Add caster sugar. Once its stiff peak, add the egg yolk and mix with spatula.
2. Add the oil, milk and vanilla essence. Mix it with hand blender at low speed. Then add the flour and do the cut and fold method.
3. Pour the batter into the mould and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Once the sponge is cooled down, cut into two. Spread the pineapple syrup and the whipped cream on one sponge. With a palette knife, spread the whipped cream. Add the chopped pineapple and put the second half of the sponge on the top and add the pineapple syrup. Then add the whipped cream and decorate it with the pineapple flower.
5. Refrigerate it for about an hour and the pineapple butterscotch cake will be ready to eat.