55 students who topped Class X Board exams awarded during programme organised by Nagaland Board of School Education in Kohima under Chief Minister’s Meritorious Students Fellowships
Kohima: Under the Chief Minister’s Meritorious Students Fellowships (CMMSF), 55 students who topped the High School Leaving Certificate (HSLC) examination from the state were awarded during a programme organised by the Nagaland Board of School Education (NBSE) at the Capital Convention Centre in Kohima on Friday.
CM Neiphiu Rio, in his address, said that the fellowships were awarded in order to recognise, encourage and motivate the students and to further ignite the spirit of a healthy competition in the fast growing world. Emphasising that recognition comes with responsibilities, Rio expressed hope that the students will continue to regard their education seriously.
Lauding the meritorious students, Rio urged them to maintain consistency in their studies and performances and further encouraged them to become assets for their families and for the Naga community.
Advisor school education KT Sukhalu briefing the students said that the award is small contribution by the state government to encourage the youths and to give them an “extra push” and to further create awareness among parents about the need to pay attention for the children’s education. He however emphasised that achieving a certain degree is not the only thing to develop a personality, rather the method learnt from it sharpens an individual’s character.
Meanwhile, the Chief Minister's meritorious Students Fellowship (CMMSF) programme, constituted from October 14 last year, laid the following guidelines to regulate the fellowship:
1. The fellowship would be granted to the top scoring 50 individual students in the top rank in order of merit of the HSLC examination conducted by the NBSE, selected on the basis of their rank/marks in the HSLC examination in order of merit.
2. The selected 50 Students must belong to an indigenous Schedule Tribe of Nagaland.
3. The number of persons to be awarded the CMMSF will vary in case of more than one person in one rank or place.
4. Fellowship to be granted to the meritorious students shall be made on Annual/yearly basis.
5. A citation along with cash award shall be given in the first year of grant of the fellowship.
6. The grant of CMMSF shall be awarded for five years. To achieve the desired objective of CMMSF, the annual academic performance of the 50 awarded students shall be continuously monitored. To continue to avail the fellowship, the students should continue to score not less than 80% marks in the promotion/annual/semester examination in the succeeding classes/grades every year. Non -fulfillment of the criteria will lead to the discontinuation of the grant of CMMSF.
In February last year, Rio introduced the scheme while highlighting the state budget with the aim to extend fellowships to toppers of NBSE Class-X examination in order to groom them to qualify for Civil services, IITs, IIMs etc. Through this program, 50 toppers will receive the fellowship every month for a period of five years.