No forced recruitment being done, we have zero tolerance towards extortion by cadres, says Ceasefire Supervisory Board member & NSCN-R leader Amento V Chophi
Kohima: Three NSCN groups -- NSCN-K, NSCN-R and NSCN-U -- on Tuesday jointly met the Ceasefire Supervisory Board (CFSB) for a coordination meeting to review the Ceasefire Ground Rules (CFGR). This is the second time that the three groups came together for a joint meeting, the first being in November last year.
Speaking with EastMojo, Amento V Chophi, deputy kilonser MIP and CFSB member, NSCN-R, said, “Security forces accused us of the ongoing recruitment. However, as per the ground rules, there is no forced recruitment done by us. It is voluntary recruitment as far as NSCN-R is concerned. So there is no violation of the CFGR.”
On the issue of extortion, he reiterated, “We call it a mandatory royalty taxation which has been long in practice as per Naga customary laws, and as far as ‘Naga national movement’ is concerned every contractor or business personalities (both Nagas and non-Nagas) operating under Naga soil are obliged to contribute to the national cause.”
Chophi mentioned that demand letter/directives/ultimatum/diktat to any party(s) is “simply issued with the information slips soliciting contributions towards the Naga cause”.
Although allegations of extortion by its cadres in Dimapur were raised during the meeting, he said, “There is zero tolerance towards any cadres going against the principle and ahza of the government, and the government will never assign its cadres to carry such activities at any point of time.”
He said that the group also appealed for a designated camp in Dimapur are to help them “mitigate, control and discipline” its cadres within the designated camp.
It was informed that the three groups expressed common concern to the Ceasefire body. The meeting on Tuesday was attended by top officials of security forces and DGP Nagaland.
On Wednesday, the NSCN-IM members also met the ceasefire body to review the Ceasefire ground rules. Like the earlier ceasefire review meeting, the issues concerning the closing down of its unauthorised messes and booking of its cadres by Army officials were deliberated.
Meanwhile, the NSCN-KN(U)’s unauthorised "messes" were closed down at Ahthibung, the Nagaland state administration along with Assam Rifles (AR) and Nagaland Police (NP) continued the eviction drive closing down similar unauthorised messes belonging to the NSCN-IM in Asalu region of Jalukie in Peren district.
ADC Jalukie Tinojongshi Chang and the Ahthibung Region Club (ARC) media cell said that unauthorised offices and messes of the NSCN-IM of Asalu region in Midland colony at Jalukie town were closed down on Friday. The move comes after authorities of the military group were served an "eviction letter" by security forces "two days ago", and further carried out after prior information to the CAO by the concerned ADC & EAC.
"NSCN-IM authorities fully cooperated with the government authorities and closed down their Asalu Region mess and offices prior to the given time,” they said.