Megan Thee Stallion and Dua Lipa drop their pop-rap-dance track called “Sweetest Pie” to much fanfare. Lately, it seems Megan is taking the “Saweetie route” and trying to steer from hip hop to a more mainstream pop sound. Only time will tell how that fares but we are fully confident that the Houston rapper can make hits no matter what genre.
1. Megan Thee Stallion, Dua Lipa – Sweetest Pie
“Sweetest Pie” is a colourful little treat from two pop queens. Megan in her first verse sounds like Saweetie and perhaps, there is a resemblance in sound between Saweetie’s pop/dance music to what Megan is going for here. It’s a little unfinished and sounds like it needs more mastering as it sounds a little all over the place. The pace is also fastened when it could have done better with a relaxed pace. But Megan and Dua make this track totally worth it.
2. Belle and Sebastian – If They’re Shooting At You
The pop band take the bridge in their 2018 song “Poor Boy”, and turn it into a completely different song here with a life of its own. And honestly, we are loving it. The band have announced that this new song takes a stand against war, especially the war Putin is waging against Ukraine. All proceeds from sales and royalties of this heartfelt and uplifting song will be going directly to the Red Cross.
3. Greentea Peng – Your Mind
After dropping her vibrant and trippy record last year, the London singer is back with a single. “Your Mind” starts with a kickass bassline which then proceeds with an angsty verse by Greentea, until towards the end when the harmonies kick in and we get a graceful and more forgiving resolution.
4. Pussy Riot – LAUGH IT OFF (feat. VÉRITÉ and LATASHÁ)
Co-written by Tove Lo, the Russian punk band does a pop turn with some moderate levels of success. The features by rapper Latashá and singer Vérité are more memorable.
5. Florence + The Machine – My Love
The English band impressed us with their lead single “King” two weeks ago. Compared to that, their newest single “My Love” is more conventional with its synthpop & dance vibe.
6. Latto – Wheelie (feat. 21 Savage)
“Wheelie” has an irresistible beat from the get-go so even the most skeptical listener would admit that this track is one of the boldest, catchiest songs by the rapper in a while. Latto is so good here that she didn’t even need 21 Savage to feature.
7. Boj, ENNY – Culture
Boj and ENNY go for a lighthearted, chill vibe with this afrobeat-inspired tropical-sounding ballad. While Boj here is cool and flirty, ENNY’s verse brings some seriousness into the song which can be hugely appealing depending on the listener. Her lyrics are hard hitting which is awesome, until you realize that “Culture” is really just meant to be a featherweight, fun trip.
8. Ms. Banks, Tion Wayne – Typa Way (feat. Eight9fly)
We get a Shaybo vibe from this R&B, dance song where both Banks and Tion give their all.
9. CupcakKe, Tay Money – PTPOM (Shemix) (feat. ShantiiP)
Rappers CupcakKe and Tay Money provide a female POV to what is a track originally by artist Mohead Mike. ShantiiP remixes the track which is audacious and rebellious. But in all honesty, the replay value of this rap track might not last very long.
10. Son Lux – This Is A Life (with Mitski and David Byrne)
The music trio of Son Lux link up with singers Mitski and David Byrne to make a theme song for the newly released sci-fi film ‘Everything Everywhere All At Once’, which stars Michelle Yeoh. “This Is A Life” is a slow and wistful chamber piece which is at once romantic and existential, in keeping with the theme of the film.
Check out the “New Songs Sunday” playlist on Spotify.
Classics make great audiobooks: Ruskin Bond
- Assam to discuss security for 4 Amritpal Singh associates lodged in Dibrugarh jail
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for March 20
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for March 20
- Nagaland: Mon district’s oldest school is on the brink of collapse
- No info when delimitation will be over: Assam CM
- Sharingain Longkumer re-elected as Nagaland speaker for second time