A brief recap of the new music releases of the past week, including a Liverpool-born muti-talent, a rising Indian rapper and a jazz-trained Italian singer
1. Jetta – He Usually Likes Boys
The singer-writer-producer sews together a beautifully bittersweet tapestry of love, loneliness and polyamory in her new electro-pop track. The melodies in the verse, hook and bridge are all insanely catchy, and will be playing in your head all day.
2. Lorde – Stoned at the Nail Salon
The second single from Lorde’s upcoming album, Solar Power, follows in the footsteps of its previous single with its sunkissed, camp-friendly sound. Lorde returns to form with songwriting that creates ravishing imagery, by referencing wishbones, vines hanging over the door, and dancing over “landmines under our home town”. The song may, however, sound too simple for some ears.
3. Dee MC – Believe In God
Deepa Unnikrishnan is fast becoming a rapper to take seriously. The groovy instrumentation and sombre lyricism on her latest song reminds one of Greentea Peng and ENNY. ‘Believe In God’ makes for a spellbindingly relaxing vibe.
4. Alewya – Spirit_X
British-Ethiopian vocalist Alewya gives an electrifying performance that will empower you. The track feels like a nice throwback to a classic Nike or Adidas theme song but in the best way possible.
5. Kilo Kish – American Gurl
‘American Gurl’ has the signature Kilo Kish sound with its hazy vocals and groovy dance-pop vibe with some interesting lyrics.
6. Marta del Grandi – Taller Than His Shadow
The elusive artist has revealed her debut track for Elettra Fiumi’s film Radical Landscapes. The minimalistic song is a dizzying potion of all that is haunting, cinematic and mysterious.
7. James Blake – Say What You Will
The English vocalist displays quiet strength in a heart-touching ballad, with some impressive belting.
- Tourist from Sikkim falls off auto after two men snatch her bag in Amritsar, dies
- Meghalaya 2023: TMC’s Richard Marak slams NPP’s work record
- Garena’s Free Fire Max Redeem Codes for 6 January, 2023
- Nagaland polls: Only 6 candidates file nominations so far; deadline Tuesday
- Five held in Guwahati businessman murder case
- Shah, Mamata to arrive in poll-bound Tripura on Monday