Mizoram CM lays foundation stone for JICA funded cancer research centre
The chief minister urged the general public to adopt a healthy daily lifestyle, emphasising the importance of staying free from tobacco and its associated products.

Aizawl: Chief Minister of Mizoram, Zoramthanga, marked a momentous occasion on Monday as he unveiled the foundation stone for the Mizoram State Super Specialty Cancer & Research Centre.

The centre, boasting a budget of Rs 700 crore, will be constructed with funding from the Japan International Cooperation (JICA). The ceremony took place at the Mizoram State Cancer Institute Complex, located in Zemabawk, Aizawl.

Zoramthanga expressed his profound satisfaction with this significant step forward in Mizoram’s healthcare infrastructure. He extended his heartfelt appreciation to the government of Japan and JICA for their substantial contribution to Mizoram.

Recognising the pressing issue of cancer and related diseases in Mizoram, the Chief Minister emphasised the vital role this super specialty and research centre would play in combatting life-threatening challenges.

Taking this opportunity, the chief minister urged the general public to adopt a healthy daily lifestyle, emphasising the importance of staying free from tobacco and its associated products, which are known to cause cancer and other terminal illnesses. He reiterated that prevention is always preferable to treatment within the hospital walls.

Dear Reader,
Over the past four years, EastMojo revolutionised the coverage of Northeast India through our sharp, impactful, and unbiased coverage. And we are not saying this: you, our readers, say so about us. Thanks to you, we have become Northeast India’s largest, independent, multimedia digital news platform.
Now, we need your help to sustain what you started.
We are fiercely protective of our ‘independent’ status and would like to remain so: it helps us provide quality journalism free from biases and agendas. From travelling to the remotest regions to cover various issues to paying local reporters honest wages to encourage them, we spend our money on where it matters.
Now, we seek your support in remaining truly independent, unbiased, and objective. We want to show the world that it is possible to cover issues that matter to the people without asking for corporate and/or government support. We can do it without them; we cannot do it without you.
Support independent journalism, subscribe to EastMojo.

Thank you,
Karma Paljor
Editor-in-Chief, eastmojo.com

The unveiling ceremony featured speeches from prominent figures, including Dr. R. Lalthangliana, Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Government of Mizoram; Mr. Hajime Taniguchi, Senior Representative, JICA India Office; and Dr. Jeremy L. Pautu, Project Coordinator cum Director, Mizoram State Cancer Institute.

The total project cost is estimated at Rs. 700 crore, with 80 percent of the funding to be provided by JICA and the remaining 20 percent financed by the Mizoram government. The project encompasses a 200-bed hospital, state-of-the-art machinery and equipment, as well as a team of world-class specialists and researchers specialising in cancer and related diseases. The project is anticipated to reach completion by the year 2028.

Also Read | Mizoram NGO concerned over purchase of land by non-locals

Trending Stories

Latest Stories

Leave a comment

Leave a comment