Aizawl: Mizoram’s Women Helpline has received a total of 14,947 distress calls since 2016, up until August 2023, as reported by officials during a press conference at the Aizawl Press Club on Thursday. The released data paints a distressing picture of the challenges faced by women in the state.
The most alarming trend highlighted in the report is the significant number of calls related to neglect, which accounted for the largest portion. The second-largest category of calls pertained to physical abuse, while the third-largest category revolved around reports of sexual abuse.
According to a 2022 report published by the department, the majority of calls, accounting for 61%, were associated with cases of domestic violence and abuse. The range of domestic issues reported encompassed physical violence, verbal abuse, financial exploitation, sexual abuse, extramarital affairs, and various other related concerns. On the other hand, 39% of the calls pertained to incidents of non-domestic violence.
Over the past four years, EastMojo revolutionised the coverage of Northeast India through our sharp, impactful, and unbiased coverage. And we are not saying this: you, our readers, say so about us. Thanks to you, we have become Northeast India’s largest, independent, multimedia digital news platform.
Now, we need your help to sustain what you started.
We are fiercely protective of our ‘independent’ status and would like to remain so: it helps us provide quality journalism free from biases and agendas. From travelling to the remotest regions to cover various issues to paying local reporters honest wages to encourage them, we spend our money on where it matters.
Now, we seek your support in remaining truly independent, unbiased, and objective. We want to show the world that it is possible to cover issues that matter to the people without asking for corporate and/or government support. We can do it without them; we cannot do it without you.
Support independent journalism, subscribe to EastMojo.
The non-domestic issues encompassed a range of concerns, including cyber-related cases, incidents of eve-teasing, stalking, assault, defamation, threats, and instances of sexual abuse, among other factors. Among the clients seeking assistance, a significant 59% fell within the age group of 21 to 40 years.
Out of a total of 1,454 identified perpetrators, a substantial 39% were identified as husbands, highlighting the prevalence of spousal involvement in these cases.
- Meghalaya: Man employed as house guard dies by suicide
- Mastering Bitcoin profits with oil profit algorithmic insights
- Manipur: AFSPA extended, 19 police stations excluded
- Effigy of Chinese premier burned in Arunachal Pradesh protest
- Manipur: Ukhrul Squash Festival showcases 47 varieties of ‘green gold’
- Fresh clashes erupt along Assam-Meghalaya border