On August 1, 2023, news surfaced concerning the passing of Prem Nath Upadhya, a 69-year-old from the Gorkha, also called Gorkhali, community of Mizoram, specifically from Ainawn Veng in Aizawl. The report, initially disseminated through a local news outlet, caught people’s attention. While Upadhya’s demise was attributed to a stroke, it was the subsequent burial and funeral proceedings that truly captured people’s attention.
In Mizoram, it is customary that any death in a locality is announced via a local information microphone by the Young Mizo Association, the state’s apex NGO. The YMA also precedes to conduct the......
- Nagaland: Socially tolerated tobacco use sparks concern
- Meghalaya: Over 3,000 people to join Sohra intn’l half-marathon
- Could online abuse drive women out of political life?
- Assam workshop highlights DNA tech’s role in wildlife crime investigation
- Assam: Rice as a peace offering in India’s human-elephant conflict capital
- Nagaland: Three NSCN-K (Niki) cadres held with weapons cache