Aizawl: At least 11 people, including three Myanmar nationals, were arrested in Mizoram for possessing heroin worth over Rs 23 lakh during raids in the last five days, an official of the state excise and narcotics department said on Tuesday.
The official said that the excise and narcotics officials seized 913.8 grams of heroin from the possession of the 11 accused during raids at seven locations in the Aizawl and Serchhip districts between Friday (March 24) and Tuesday (March 28).
He said that the department seized 434 grams of heroin during raids at three locations in the Serchhip district on March- 24, 25 and 28.
Seven people, all Mizoram residents, were arrested for possessing the contraband during the raids, he said.
The anti-narcotics squad of the excise department also seized 346 grams of heroin from the possession of four peddlers, including three Myanmar nationals, during raids at four different places in Aizawl on March 26 and 28, he said.
Help sustain honest journalism.
The seized heroin was altogether worth over Rs. 23 lakh in the local market, he said.
The 11 accused were booked under relevant sections of the Narcotics Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985, the official added.
- Assam: 74 rare tortoises seized from Silchar-Sealdah train, 2 arrested
- Internet ban in Manipur again? Check details here
- Nagaland: Church condemns PM’s call for cleanliness drive on Sunday
- Ukhrul: Journalists boycott 24 AR over ‘harassment’ of reporter
- Mizoram: Serchhip district celebrates silver jubilee amid HIV, drug abuse concerns
- Tripura HC dismisses one of ‘10,323’ teachers’ plea, fines petitioner