An upcoming dam project threatens not just the forests of Mizoram, but also over a dozen rivers. And according to the latest government report, Mizoram has witnessed the highest rates of desertification in the nation. Why, then, is the state government so uninterested in defending the forests, and what lies ahead?
Where is the Riverine forest area?
The forest within half a mile on either side of 16 rivers in Mizoram comes under the Riverine Reserved Forest (RRF) area. No one can own land in these areas and any developmental works are banned. According to......
- Tripura 2023: Not double engine, we need people’s engine, says Mamata
- Jaishankar, Bhutan’s Assembly speaker discuss economic ties
- Shillong Teer Result today: Check winners of Shillong Teer for February 7
- Khanapara Teer Result today: Winners of Khanapara Teer for February 7
- Tripura 2023: UP CM Yogi warns of misgovernance if Cong-CPI(M) win
- Frontier Nagaland ‘deal’ leaves some eastern Nagas confused, others elated