Aizawl: At least 3 people, including a female, have been arrested for possessing heroin worth Rs. 5.95 lakh in south Mizoram’s Lunglei district, an official of the state excise and narcotics department said on Monday.
Acting on a tip off, officials of excise and narcotics department and volunteers of Young Mizo Association (YMA) jointly launched operation and intercepted a vehicle in an area between Pukpui and Zotlang villages in Lunglei district on Sunday, he said.
A total of 234.940 grams of heroin worth Rs 5.95 lakh in the local market were recovered from the vehicle, he said.
Three peddlers, identified as Vanlaldiki (29), a resident of Bawngkawn Brigade Veng in Aizawl, Nathanaela (51) and Lalramenga (28), both from Champhai district, have been arrested in connection with the seizure, the official said.
The vehicle (taxi) used for transporting the consignment was also seized by the department, he said.
The three accused were booked under relevant sections of the Narcotic Drugs & Psychotropic Substances Act 1985, he added.
- World Sports Journalist Day 2022: History, significance and more
- On World UFO Day, a look at UFO ‘sightings’ in Northeast
- From Greenland shark to seafaring cockatoo: Meet 5 remarkably old animals
- Pak steeply hikes petrol prices under deal with IMF to revive bailout programme
- Meghalaya: Deputy CM meets protesting teachers, assures support
- Murmu has better chances to win prez polls after Maha development: Mamata