Aizawl: Action on specific information, troopers of Assam Rifles on Wednesday recovered Myanmar currency (Kyat) notes worth Rs 4.20 lakh in Khaikhy village in south Mizoram’s Siaha district near the Myanmar border, Assam Rifles said in a statement.
One person has been apprehended in connection with the recovery, it said.
The foreign currency notes (10000000 in Myanmar’s Kyat) and the accused were handed over to state excise and narcotics department for further legal proceeding, it said.
Ongoing smuggling of foreign currency is a major cause of concern for the state of Mizoram, especially along the India-Myanmar Border, the statement added.
- Assam: 74 rare tortoises seized from Silchar-Sealdah train, 2 arrested
- Internet ban in Manipur again? Check details here
- Nagaland: Church condemns PM’s call for cleanliness drive on Sunday
- Ukhrul: Journalists boycott 24 AR over ‘harassment’ of reporter
- Mizoram: Serchhip district celebrates silver jubilee amid HIV, drug abuse concerns
- Tripura HC dismisses one of ‘10,323’ teachers’ plea, fines petitioner