Aizawl: At least three people, including a member of a Myanmar-based Chin nationalist group, were arrested for transporting explosives and other war-like stores in Mizoram near the Indo-Myanmar border, an Assam Rifles officer said on Friday.
Action on intelligent inputs, Assam Rifles troopers and the state police carried out an operation near Zawngling, a border village in south Mizoram’s Siaha district on Thursday, he said.
The operation team had a specific information regarding movement of a mini truck carrying large quantities of war-like stores, he said. The team then set up check post on the Tuipang – Zawngling road and intercepted a mini truck from which 2,500 kilograms of explosives and 4,500 meters of detonators were found, the officer said.
Two Indian citizens and a member of Myanmar based Chin National Front (CNF), who transported the explosives and detonators, have been apprehended in the operation, he said.
CNF is a Chin nationalist political organisation fighting for a federal union based on self-determination, ethnic equality and democracy in Myanmar. Its arm wing is called Chin National Army (CNA).
The Assam Rifles officer claimed that the recovery has prevented loss of precious civilian lives.
- Sikkim floods: 10 dead, 82 missing, 14 bridges collapse
- Arunachal CM expresses sadness, shock at Sikkim floods
- Sikkim Police notifies road situation; check details here
- Handkerchief or tissue? Which one’s better for our health and the planet?
- Assam: Half marathon event to be held on Oct 29 in Dibrugarh
- RBI approves merger of North East Small Fin Bank, fintech unicorn Slice