Aizawl: Buddha Lila Chakma, a member of Chakma Autonomous District Council (CADC) from Vaseitlang constituency, was on Wednesday elected as the new chairman of the council, an official statement said.
Buddha Lila Chakma was elected unopposed as he was the lone member to have filed nomination, the statement by CADC information and public relations department said.
The election for the new chairman was necessitated by the resignation of incumbent chairman Mohan Chakma on November 22, it said.
This is Buddha Lila Chakma’s second stint as the council chairman in the current term. Earlier, he had held the post from May 2018 to January 2019.
After his election to the chairman, Buddha Lila Chakma assured the members that he will maintain neutrality while discharging his duty as chairman, the statement said.
The council was created in 1972 for the Chakma tribals living in the southwestern part of Mizoram. It is currently headed by Rasik Mohan Chakma as a chief executive member.
The Mizo National Front (MNF) now has a full member in the 20-member council.
- Beyond Bharat Jodo: Can a Third Front challenge BJP-Congress hegemony?
- Tripura 2023: Union min Pratima Bhoumik files nomination for Dhanpur
- Assam: Kailash Satyarthi lauds state govt’s efforts to end child marriages
- JD(U) announces first candidate for Nagaland election
- Assam: Swaheed Krishak Diwas observed in Patharighat
- CPI(M) demands high-level probe against Adani Group