Aizawl: Five people, including three women, were killed and 11 others injured when a pickup truck which they were travelling in fell into gorge near Rabung village in east Mizoram’s Khawzawl district.
Police said the accident took about 180 km from state capital Aizawl on Monday.
Khawzawl Superintendent of Police (SP) Lalchunglura said the incident occurred around 9:30 am when the people were heading from their village Aiduzawl towards Rabung to attend a funeral.
Their vehicle met with accident and fell into gorge about 1 km way from Rabung, the SP said. The cause of the accident is believed to be brake failure.
Quoting a passenger, SP Lalchunglura said the wheels of the vehicle were extremely wobbly shaken before it fell into the gorge. There were a total of 19 people in the vehicle.
While four people died on the spot, one victim succumbed to her injuries at Rabung Public Health Centre. The injured were referred to Aizawl.
On being informed about the accident, a police team led by Sub-divisional Police Officer (SDPO) and officials of Khawzawl deputy commissioner office rushed to the site to take stock of the situation.
Also read: Abhinandan Varthaman conferred Vir Chakra
- New Songs Sunday: A look at the latest tracks this week
- Oppn demands law on MSP, debate on snooping row, price rise in Parliament
- Netherlands, Australia find omicron variant as curbs spread
- Nagaland pushes for off-road tourism; generate Rs 100 Cr revenue
- Bengaluru police deny permission to Munawar Faruqui’s stand-up show
- Tripura sees saffron wave, BJP sweeps civic polls