Aizawl: In yet another success in its crusade against smuggling activities, Serchhip Battalion of Headquarter 23 Sector Assam Rifles under the aegis of the Headquarters of Inspector General of the Assam Rifles (East), recovered 8 cases of foreign cigarettes at Chhungte village in Champhai district near the Myanmar border on Wednesday, Assam Rifles said in a statement.
The operation was carried out by a joint team of the Assam Rifles and Customs Department based on specific information, the Assam Rifles said.
One person was apprehended for possessing the contraband which was worth Rs. 10.40 lakh, and was believed to be smuggled from Myanmar. The recovered items and the accused were handed over to the Customs department for further legal proceedings.
Ongoing smuggling is a major cause of concern for the state of Mizoram, especially along the India-Myanmar Border. Assam Rifles, rightly christened as the ‘Sentinels of Northeast’ have continued their efforts against the smuggling activities in Mizoram.
Also read | Mizoram: New executive members of Chakma council sworn in
- Assam: Bodofa Upendra Nath Brahma’s birth anniversary observed in Boko
- BJP conspiring against Rahul Gandhi to not let him contest 2024 LS polls: Mizoram Cong
- Assam: Oppn MLA moves bill for land rights in Brahmaputra’s char-chaporis
- Retail inflation for industrial workers remains flat at 6.16 pc in February
- Assam Cabinet approves DA hike for govt employees
- Mizoram cop on hunt for Myanmarese ‘killers’, locals seal border