Assam Rifles and Customs department have recovered around 40,000 kg of areca nuts worth Rs 1.56 crore during a joint operation at Khuangphah village in Champhai district near the Myanmar border on Friday, Assam Rifles said in a statement.
The operation was carried out based on specific information, it said.
The customs department seized the illegal trade items for further legal proceedings.
Ongoing smuggling of areca nuts is a major cause of concern for the state of Mizoram, especially along the India-Myanmar Border.
Assam Rifles, rightly christened as the ‘Sentinels of Northeast’ have continued their efforts against the smuggling activities in Mizoram.
- Garo’s colourful 100 Drums Wangala festival celebrated in Assam
- Drones to track Ganja plantation: Tripura CM
- Mizoram: BJP to form next govt in Mara Autonomous Council
- Arunachal CM exhorts people to perform fundamental duties
- Tripura BJP launches ‘Har Ghar BJP’ outreach programme before polls
- Contribution of women members of Constituent Assembly rarely discussed: PM Modi